Healthy diet for childrenAdequate nourishment and balanced diet are the most important factors in child’s harmonious development. Here are some advices that should be followed.
Whether you have a small child or a teenager, there are five strategies that can improve its diet to encourage gaining some healthy eating habits.
1. Organize regular family meals.
2. Serve a variety of ailments and snacks.
3. Be a role model for children, and eat healthy.
4. Avoid quarrels regarding food.
5. Involve your children in choosing aliments.
When you have a busy schedule, it is quite difficult to follow all these rules. Moreover, fast-food outlets even offer many types of tasty and fast cooked dishes, so people are somewhat tempted to accept this compromise. Here’s how you can enter all five strategies into your daily routine of life:
Family meals are a pleasant ritual for both children and parents. The little ones like the feeling of security offered, and their parents are able to keep up with what’s happening in their family life. In addition, these meetings give parents the opportunity to see what they like and what dishes children dislike.
It was found that children who dine in the family:
• eat fruits, vegetables and grains more often
• Do not eat too many unhealthy snacks
• have little chance to be drawn into the trap of smoking marijuana cigarettes or alcoholic beverages
Perhaps the teenagers will not be so happy when it comes to family meals – it is normal, given their need for independence. Yet studies show that teens still want their parent’s advice and help, so use family meals as opportunity to create new connections. Do not forget these strategies:
• Allow children to bring a friend for dinner
• involve your child in meal preparation
• Do not argue, it must be a moment of calm and well-being
Any time that you and your family sit together at meals, and spending quality time talking about important things, but do not produce unpleasant atmosphere is quality time spent together. Try to rely on healthy foods and nutrients in these meals and choose a time when everyone can be present.
Healthy food stocks
Children, especially young ones, will eat whatever they find at home. It is therefore very important to always check food stocks – and make sure they contain only healthy snacks and foods.
Follow these general guidelines:
• Enter fruits and vegetables in your daily routine, trying to reach five types daily
• Facilitate access to healthy snacks, holding hand washed and prepared fruits and vegetables to be eaten; other snacks are acceptable: yogurt, peanut paste or chestnut, celery, whole grain crackers and cheese
• Eat lean meat and other good sources of lean protein like eggs or nuts
• Choose whole grain bread or cereals
• Limit fat intake by avoiding fried foods and choosing healthier options, like grilling, boiling or steaming rack
• Limit unhealthy snacks and supplies with little nutritional value, like chips and candy, but not completely eliminate the pleasures of children, because they will feel so private – the best way is to turn them into ” special occasions snacks “
• Limit sweet juices stocks – either carbonated or fruit, but with added sugar; serve milk and water instead.
How to become a model for the family
The best way to encourage healthy eating is to become a model for the rest of the members. Children will always take adults as models, because they see them every day. By eating fruits, vegetables and snacks with nutritional value, they will send the right message to children. Another way to be a good example is to limit portions of food and never ever exaggerate. Try to not fall in any other extreme either. Parents who are always on diet and can print the same feelings to their children. Try to have an open and positive attitude when it comes to food.
Avoid quarrels for food
Food can easily become a source of conflict. Well-intentioned parents may find themselves in a position to bribe their children or to bargain with them to eat healthy things. A better strategy would be to give children the opportunity to control what they eat. Children will be able to decide to eat the dishes offered if no other snacks are in hand for them. Parents are still the ones who decide which dishes are available to children, both in the meal and the rest.
Remember these rules:
• Do not force children to finish everything on the plate. So learn to get over the feeling of fullness, which you do not want.
• Do not bribe children with food and do not reward them in this way. Avoid using dessert as a prize for those who have finished eating the main courses.
• Do not use food as a way to show your affection.
Involve your children
Most children love to decide what to eat for dinner. Talk with children about food choices and about a balanced diet. Some children will want to help even out shopping and meal preparation. Take advantage of these moments and teach your child to read the labels.
Lunch at school is another important milestone from which the child can learn about healthy eating.
When shopping, it is recommended to look for tasty food together. Another important reason to involve the children in these decisions: will help them make their own decisions regarding their diet. The youngster will not automatically prefer a salad instead of French fries – however, creating healthy eating habits at an early age will last a lifetime.
|children, diet, eat, eating healthy, family, food, healthy, meals, parents, snacks|